Sunday, September 2, 2007

Baseball, Apple Pie and Politics

Marra and I attended the Nationals-San Francisco Giants game last night in DC. This was the eighth time in the past 3 years that she has accompanied me to a major league game. She enjoys the drama, the shared crowd experience, and the one-on-one time with her dad. I enjoy the the drama, the shared crowd experience, and the one-on-one time with her. She's a great date for a ball game. Her attention span is long, and her appetite for stadium junk food is limited. She asks good questions, and doesn't ask to leave early. I believe that she is developing an interest in baseball that will survive into her teen and adult years. I couldn't be happier about it.

Last night, she leaned over to tell me that she understands the game much better this season. She explained that playing wiffle ball this summer with her cousins during our beach trip helped her better appreciate what she was seeing in the pro game. The progression of players from one base to the next, the fly ball outs, the counting of runs - it all made more sense after living it herself, and she enjoys the game more. She knows where to focus her eyes on the field of play.

This is all a good example of classic teaching: tell, show, do, review. I've told her about baseball and its rules. I've shown her games live. She did play herself this summer. Now all we need is review - more trips to the ballpark with daddy.

In 41 days, Marra and I will travel to New Hampshire as part of her political training. I've told her about the candidates. I've told her about the issues. I have shown her the candidates on TV, engaged in active debate on the issues. I've shown her their websites and we've looked at some of their videos. In 41 days, we begin the "do" phase - we will be active participants in the process, meeting and speaking to the volunteers, the activists, and hopefully the candidates themselves.

After our trip, I hope that Marra will lean over to me and say, "Daddy, I understand the game much better now."

Home run!

JS

No comments: