Wednesday, August 29, 2007

You Are What You Email

As I stated in a previous posting ("What? You haven't read EVERY posting to date???"), I signed up to receive email updates from several campaigns: Clinton, Obama, Edwards on the Dem side; Guiliani, McCain, Romney from the GOP side of the aisle. I did this for several reasons:

First, I wanted to stay in touch with the campaigns most likely to still have funds by the time Marra and I got to NH;
Second, these candidates represented the top tier according to national polls;
Third, I want to see what issues each candidate highlighted throughout the campaign;
Four, no one writes to me so I needed the email traffic.

I would like to share with you excerpts from a few of the emails, accompanied by my witty commentary, of course:

John McCain: This guy is really pulling out all the stops for support. His latest email appeal came from his mother. Yes, John has rolled out his mommy to replenish his campaign war chest.
"My son, Senator John McCain, has been a leader his entire life. When he was a young boy, all of the kids knew me as "Johnny's mother" because he was the leader of the other children."

The guy has been in national politics since the '70s, and we're being told that his leadership of the other children qualifies him for the Top Job. Leadership as a child is nowadays referred to more commonly as 'bullying'.

John Edwards: This guy uses email to stay on the attack, but he sprinkles every attack with an emotional appeal about his love for us, the little people who need him. Shucks. Here's an email intro from wife Elizabeth:

"Dear Friend,
A lot of special moments happen out there on the campaign trail, as I travel across the country with John. I wanted to share one of them with you."

Then a link to a video clip about his commitment to universal health care. His campaign manager is Joe Trippi, the man responsible for Howard Dean's unlikely ascent during the 2004 campaign from unknown to presumptive nominee (for a few months, anyway). Because of Trippi influence, Edwards (not surprisingly) has been the most active emailer.

Some Edwards' more biting and targeted email excerpts:

"John Edwards knows America deserves better than crony out, crony in—and if Bush tries to replace one crony with another, John will lead the fight against their nomination just like he led the calls for Gonzales to resign more than five months ago."

"But there are those in the Democratic Party who are unwilling to end their addiction to money from federal lobbyists - they do not understand that people like you will help fund a party that is truly a party of the people."

Barack Obama: As you would imagine, his emails focus on joining the cause, the movement, the whatever-it-is-Obama-has. He just wants more people.

"To rebuild in the wake of Katrina and get our country back on course, we need to renew our commitment to one another. We need to return to this core principle of our great nation by honoring our responsibility to our fellow citizens.
I am my brother's keeper. I am my sister's keeper. And that foundation is what makes all of us stronger."

OK, Reverend. I hear ya. How about a big group hug?

Rudy Guiliani: Gotta love this guy. Not only is he playing the 9/11 leadership thing for all it's worth, his current emails show Yankee Stadium in the background. Yes, Rudy was actually responsible for all 26 World Championships while serving as mayor. Quite a record. His campaign is about Big Ideas (only 12 apparently) and for this, he needs Big Money:

"But I can't do it alone. I need your help to continue spreading my vision for keeping America safe, ensuring economic growth through fiscal discipline and securing our borders. Help me by making your donation today of $250, $100, $50 or $25. "

Hillary Clinton: Oddly enough, not too many emails from Hillary. But the few I've gotten mention EXPERIENCE, the one club she continually beats Edwards and Obama over the head with. She rarely mentions that Cheney and Rumsfeld had a lot of experience, too...

Mitt Romney: Strong Family Man who favors Strong Families. As a practicing Mormon, he is careful not to be in favor of multiple families, just strong SINGLE, heterosexual, two parent, June and Ward Cleaver families. His emails are focused in message and clear about one thing - there are many ways to give Mitt money for his mission trip to the White House.

In summary, none of these candidates has emailed me anything overboard, out of the mainstream, that I would hold it against him/her. It has mostly been a lesson in marketing on a viral scale, and it has opened my eyes to the power of the Internet, for organizing, fundraising, or just plain making money. So the real question is, will all these candidates vow to never tax the Internet?

JS

No comments: