Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Us vs.Them

I did not watch the most recent Democratic debate (Sunday in Iowa). I can go online to view the show anytime I want. So far, I haven't wanted. I know, it's a little early for someone as engaged in this drama as I am to be suffering from election fatigue, but here I am. Maybe it's this summer cold that's been bouncing through our house, or maybe it's because I already know what each candidate is going to say.

"I will look out for working families..."
"I will fight Big Oil, Big Tobacco, and the Big Drug companies..."
"I am against tax cuts for the wealthy..."
"The Cheney/Rove policies have failed us..."

Blah, blah, blah. The Democrats have become the party of Us vs. Them. Rich vs. Poor. Those who control the means of production, and those oppressed masses that are systematically denied access to the American Dream. For a party that bellyaches so loudly against the divisiveness of the Bush/Cheney/Rove agenda, it certainly seems to have taken a page from their playbook. Instead of dividing Us by Patriot vs. Traitor (a GOP talk radio favorite), the Democrats are dividing Us by Class, into little IRS tax brackets. It's a simple political calculation really. There are more voters who make less than $200,000 per year than make more. So let's be sure the under $200K crowd is for Us!

I know that's a bit simplified. I recognize how recent government policies have impacted the wage gap in this country, and I understand that the widening income gap can spell trouble for Us as a nation. But let's not dumb it down to the point where equitable income distribution is the goal. You see, sometimes, I'm a Them.

Thems recognize that industry supplies the jobs that supply the wages and the health care for the Democratic Us. Thems are working families, too. Thems may drive nicer cars and live in bigger houses, but Thems sacrifice to provide for their families, too. Thems aren't all part of the vast Right Wing Conspiracy. Many Thems are just people like Us who took a financial risk, worked hard, and succeeded while the Us were content to watch from the sidelines. Not all of Us were denied the chance at financial reward. Some of Us just had other priorities.

And never let Us forget, it's the Thems that are funding most of the campaigns we're watching!

Is there a Democratic candidate who will reach beyond Us vs. Them, and embrace both rich and poor, black and white, Christian and atheist? Didn't the populist rhetoric backfire on Gore in 2000? Didn't the populist rhetoric look silly when being trumpeted by silver-spooned Kerry? Why do they continue to draw from that well?

So I have to explain all these pearls of rhetoric to Marra, which leads me to ask the Democrats a simple question: How should I differentiate for her Republican divisiveness from Democratic divisiveness? ...without telling me, "But their brand is worse than our brand"? Just a thought.

And while you're at it, how about the pros and cons of a flat tax?

JS

No comments: