Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Vicarious Campaign

Since I began this blog (some might say "Mission Statement"). I've been asked the same question by many. "Why didn't you get into politics?"

That question is easy to answer. It's because I was an unmotivated, defocused adolescent into my mid-20's, until my wife straightened out my meandering road to nowhere. By the mid-20's, most successful pols of the future have been officers in their college fraternities, and lost their first race for local assemblyman. Already by the age of 25, these motivated, focused individuals have been steeped in the painful lessons of excessive hubris. You can ask all my college friends for a laundry list of the other reasons I've chosen not to subject myself to the inevitable scrutiny of headlining a campaign. So I chose the sidelines.

The question about past dreams has raised for me a new question about future public ambitions...but not my ambitions. "Do I want Marra to catch the bug and enter the world of politics in her adulthood?" That's a tough question. At age 11, she couldn't use my excuse that her past choices and decisions could come back to haunt her (how can you accuse a 6th grader of flip-flopping?). So the door of opportunity is still wide open. Her kindergarten teacher once told her mother and me that Marra was very bright, but "a little chatty, and a little bossy." Sounds like a prototype politician so far. Of course, the world is her oyster and the possibilities in her life are literally endless at this point (although I admit that I told her to scratch Olympic gymnast and Olympic figure skater off the short list). But the question wasn't could Marra enter politics later in life. She could. The question was would I want her to pursue that career option.

Even asking such a question makes me think of Don Corleone in The Godfather talking to his son, Michael, about his career choices. "I never wanted this for you, Michael. I always dreamed it would be Senator Corleone."

I'll try not to be simplistic and leave you with "I just want her to be happy, and do what she loves." It's more than that. I want her to pursue a life that enriches not only herself and her family, but the lives of others and their families. There are lots of vocations that would help her achieve this end, a lot of noble professions. And if Marra could make people believe in a political career as a noble profession again, a profession driven by an honest passion for service and a disdain for the money game that turns politicians into pawns, I say run, Marra, run.

And with the inevitable law degree that all good government leaders must have, she could support Cherie and me when we're old. Bonus!

JS

1 comment:

Daveed said...

I'm afraid you can't wait too much longer to decide on Marra's political future. With the push to move the primaries ever earlier, both parties are considering moving the 2032 presidential primary, when she will be eligiglbe to run for president, to 2015. The idea is to have one primary a year for the next 10 presidential elections. Soon parents will be able to say: Before you were a twinkle in daddy's eye, you were a candidate for president.