Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Search for Something to Do in NH

Once I made the decision to visit NH for the primary season, I had to answer a very simple question: What will we do while we're there? I knew what I wanted to happen. I wanted each candidate, one at a time, to show up in whatever restaurant I was eating in that day, shake my hand, and ask for my vote. As soon as the candidate asked for my vote, I'd ask a series of probing, issue-oriented questions, challenge their responses (maybe attract a crowd to listen in), and then get a photo of the candidate with my daughter, suitable for framing. Pretty simple plan, actually - but a bit unrealistic I'm afraid. So I had to reach out for advice.

When you need political advice, there's only one place to go: Tim Russert. After dozens of years doing Meet the Press, surely he would know where to start planning. So I wrote him the following letter:

April 15, 2007

Dear Mr Russert,

Your tribute to your father in Big Russ shared many valuable life lessons with your readers. In particular, you highlighted your father’s lesson on the benefits of a well-written letter. While you will be the judge of the quality of my letter, I hope the underlying sincerity of my request is apparent.

I will be traveling with my 11-year old daughter, Marra, to New Hampshire in mid-October 2007 to experience the 2008 nominating process from the ground level. This father-daughter trip has been a dream of mine for several years, and the time has finally come to put a plan in place. I plan to share my passion for national politics and the electoral process with her. This is where you come in, Mr. Russert. As a life-long observer of American grassroots politics, I thought you may share some tips with me for planning the trip. I have many questions, but few resources for answers:
How would we gain an invitation/access to a town hall meeting with a candidate?
How will we know where the candidates are available from day to day?
Will it be possible to meet any of them, ask questions, and take a photo?
Where should we stay to be conveniently located to follow the most candidates?

It has been a long time since the nomination for both parties has been this wide open, and the battle for supremacy in such large fields should (hopefully) lead to a true debate of ideas. I fear that the media will again emphasize the horse race at the expense of the issues, but if I can get my daughter close enough to the frontlines of the process, perhaps together we can support a candidate for president in 2008 that inspires us with genuine character and leadership, and not with interesting marketing.

Politics aside, the true goal of this excursion to the Granite State in the heat of the primary season is to forge a bond with my daughter that will last well beyond the future administrations of the current crop of hopefuls. I want her to think critically, dream creatively, and above all, get to know and respect her daddy.

I look forward to any advice you may provide, or contact information on any organizations that could assist in my planning.

Go Sabres!

Best regards,
JS

I'm sure I'll here back soon. In the meantime, planning continues.

JS

No comments: