Monday, July 23, 2007

Debate Debrief - Part I

Tonight, my 11 year old daughter and I watched the first "official" Democratic Candidate Debate together. Only a political geek like myself would get goose bumps from such a moment. I invited her to watch the debate with me (I did not force her), and asked her to take notes on the candidates as part of our NH travel prep. She lasted until the very last question, and provided me with some interesting feedback:

"Daddy, why do all the candidates call her 'Hillary', but they call the man candidates by their last names?" My cup runeth over - she already recognizes the subtle, condescending cues in the discussions. Bravo, Marra!

"Obama has really big ears." OK, that was an easy one.

She rated the candidates' performances with either a smiley face (she liked and agreed with an answer) or a frowny face (She thought the answer was dumb or mean). Her overall debate winner - John Edwards, with a dominant 10 smiley faces and no frowny faces. According to Marra, she "liked all his answers." Runner up went to Obama with 8 smileys and one frowny face. She agreed with his position that women should serve in the army.

"Chuck Hagel has my same birthday!" On that point, I was stunned. First I was stunned that she knew the name of Chuck Hagel. Second, that she knew that his birthday was the same as hers. I know I've talked politics with her over the past few months, but I was astonished that she remembered that one name. My chest puffed with pride...until she clarified for me, "He's a fighter pilot, right?" "Do you mean Chuck Yeager, sweetheart?" "Yeah, that's him."

Oh, well. Her political education continues. At least she's thinking about it. That is a victory for me.

JS

No comments: