Saturday, July 7, 2007

Dems vs. Repubs: An 11 Year Old's Guidelines

Marra and I have been discussing the trip to NH for several years now, and she is starting to ask more questions. Recently, she asked me the most basic of national political questions: "Daddy, what's the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans?"

Tough question to answer with a few short sentences. The differences run deep and the differences require an in depth understanding of each issue, the nuances, the history. I could also explain the differences with a clear bias for my own point of view. Remember, one of my goals for the trip is to maintain objectivity and an open mind. Easier said than done.

So here's what I said:

"Well, it depends on the issue. For example, when it comes to taxes, Republicans generally believe that we should have fewer and lower taxes, because that will still generate enough money for us to run the country (Supply Side 101), while the Democrats believe that rich people should pay more taxes to support government programs that help less fortunate people.

"On the environment, Republicans believe that the markets and competition will convince companies to do the right thing, while Democrats believe the government has to create laws for the companies to follow to force companies to do the right thing and protect people.

"On the war in Iraq, Republicans agree that we should have gone into the war and that we should stay there until we win, while Democrats believe that we should not have gone into the war and that we should leave."

Marra thought about this for a moment, then said, "I think I'm a Democrat, but I don't want it to cost me any more money."

I guess that describes a lot of us, doesn't it? She's going to do just fine in Manchester.

JS

1 comment:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!