Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Mayor of 9-11

Giuliani was a big get for us. We didn't find out that he was going to be in the state until the day before we left Virginia. I was afraid that we would miss the front runners during our trip, but now Giuliani was here and Hillary had just updated her schedule with 4 local events on Tuesday. Everything was falling into place.

Rudy was scheduled to walk through Young's Restaurant in downtown Durham at 12:30 PM. It was a short drive from the Edwards event, and another beautifully scenic one. The autumn colors were in full bloom and we could occasionally imagine the 'whoosh' of dried leaves in our wake. We entered the downtown area of Durham and were greeted by another quaint, small town America scene right out of a Norman Rockwell painting. I did not know it yet, but we were in the center of the University of New Hampshire campus. The coeds were out in full force with their campus gear, Abercrombie and Fitch apparel, and tired Sunday morning faces.

The Mapquest directions were perfect and brought us directly to Young's Restaurant. Now if we could only have reserved a parking space...As we were circling the block for the second time, Rudy's caravan pulled up, and Hissoner disembarked from one of the Towne cars in his armada. We were in a panic to park now. Fortunately, a Higher Power again smiled on our journey, and a space opened 2 doors down from the restaurant.

Marra grabbed the camera and I grabbed my notebook, and we ran toward the sidewalk gathering of curious onlookers, C-SPAN crew members, reporters, and security personnel. The crowd was only 2 deep, not intimidating at all. What was intimidating was the heightened security presence - definitely Code Orange. I knew that some of the front running candidates had been assigned Secret Service protection, but Huckabee and Edwards were not as insulated as Rudy. Heck, we could have picked Huckabee's pocket! A picture and an autograph from the leading GOP contender (in national polls) was going to be far more challenging.

I snapped a picture of Rudy in the middle of the mob and headed into Young's with Marra. I figured we should anticipate Rudy's movements and get a table now. If he stopped at every table, we would have our meeting. Surprisingly, there was not a wait for a table. In fact, the young hostess seemed genuinely surprised that we had come to Young's in search of lunch. Most of the crush at the front door was there to gawk at the spectacle. A table for 2 opened up in the front bay window, just to the right as you entered the restaurant. I assumed that Rudy would come into the restaurant and follow his political instincts by turning to the right. I was correct. He is so predictable.

Rudy was led by a few handlers and trailed by some security and media types. Before we had even sat down at our table, we were face-to-face with Rudy Giuliani. He was shorter than I had pictured, but that might be because he was not wearing a trademark Yankee ball cap. Smart decision in Bosox territory. He shook our hands immediately, and I introduced myself and Marra. "This is my 11 year old daughter, Marra, and we drove over 500 miles from Virginia to see you." This was a slight stretch on the truth. I omitted that we drove to see a half dozen other candidates, too, but I was softening him up for the photo op. "May I get a picture with you and my daughter?" Obviously, he's done this before. He was in position, arm around Marra, by the time I had lifted the camera to aim. Flash. Perfect picture.

He told us that he had just been in Virginia, in Newport News. I told him we were from northern Virginia, and he pretended to know where Chantilly was.

I told him that for full disclosure, I was an avid Mets fan. He responded, "You have my sympathy." I wanted to deck him for that, but I didn't want Marra to someday tell the story about bailing her father out of a Durham, NH jail for hitting the presumptive nominee of the GOP. I smiled weakly, and he slide by.

The moment was over so quickly, and he seemed to always be moving forward towards the next table. In my joy at getting the perfect photo of Rudy with Marra, we forgot the autograph. Oh, well, I thought, he won't win anyway, right?

Marra and I sat, dazed by our good fortune of meeting him so soon after arrival. We starting looking over the menu, trying to act as if we met presidential candidates every day. No big deal. In a way, that was becoming true. Just another politician for us to judge later.

Rudy worked the restaurant for about 10 minutes total, shaking hands with lots of hung over college kids having a late breakfast, and just being personable. I doubt anyone pressed him on immigration while enjoying their western omelet. It was a good warm up for him before his Town Hall meeting, scheduled for 1:30 PM in Exeter. Marra and I would be there, hoping to finally get called on for a question. We were gaining confidence.

JS

No comments: